Sunday 31 July 2011

Sentosa Cove in bad weather

We do not need to have great weather to have good pictures. A few posts earlier, the picture of the airplane in rain demonstrated that image was less likely to have been taken by some one else, which means that picture was unique. Whether it is technically perfect is not always so important. Many times, the picture at the right moment is more important than a technically perfect picture but with no meaning. Remember, ask ourselves a very simple question after we press the shutter release - is this picture repeatable tomorrow at the same time?

I have been using different cameras for different shot posting on this blog. I am not saying the camera is not important, but not so important that I seldom talk about my camera. The latest development in Singapore is that there are more people willing to spend hundred of dollars on a half case (not even a full case), hundred of dollars of a "thumb something" which does not really help with picture taking. Yes the picture could be less shaky, but you can alway manage this through higher shutter speed, large aperture, high ISO. In another word, nowadays camera is more for wearing than for picture taking.

So much so in my opinion.

I was happily visiting Sentosa Cove property together with my favorite camera and lens.


Taken with 35mm, but in order to blur the background, I really have to get very close to the table. That is right, you can still get blur background with a wide angle len, the trick is to get as close to the near subject as possible.




However, halfway to the show flat, the weather turned very bad. I like the thunder cloud which was so intense, so dangerous, yet so complex. I no longer need to worry about the sky being blown out, instead, the sky is the key point of interest. The color was also quite saturated.




This is another grab shot, with only seconds before the rain started pouring, I saw this blue tone -  the pier, the houses, the water, the sky all blended under the thunder storm in blue. This simplified the color yet created great brightness range and tone.  My friend actually asked me to print a copy for her collection I hope she did not send this to Far East development for their brochure of Sentosa Cove and earn a few cents.

10 seconds after this shot was taken, we all ran for cover as the rain was like our bathroom shower. No worry, the camera got a few rain drops here and there, wipe and air dry and works like a charm. 


1 Comments:

At 6 August 2011 at 05:27 , Blogger KT said...

It's a good idea! Must quickly get this done before you get your patent rights registered!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home