Monday 15 August 2011

Is new better than old

Despite having taking photographs for so many years, I always find that taking a good picture is not purely technique. Technique is important because with sufficient technique, it can help to see the picture out of the real world. However, many times, it is more than just technique. It also requires the right lighting. My friend from China told me that in order to capture the picture that he has in mind, he sometimes has wait for a few hours or even days, pressing the shutter release is a matter of seconds.

All is said, it is also very easy to take good pictures when the time, place, light are all in favor. How many times we took much better pictures while we are traveling. Many said that because we are stimulated to take better picture! I believe this is mostly correct because when we are traveling, we no longer feel that there is nothing to shoot because we expect there is something for us to take back, so we are more alert, more aware and more looking around.

However, despite all is said, how can we not take good picture when we encounter such a scene:


Feels like last century. The picture was taken in Holland, 30+ years ago, it was taken with positive film, i.e. slides, to my biggest surprise, I scanned the pictures last year and some are still vivid.

A cold but warm picture. We stood on a frozen lake, therefore not much building nearby, I asked the other trainee to take the picture after I showed him where to stand and how far. using the tree line to draw the eyes to the subject. I like this picture very much.


When the mood is good, no matter where, you can take nice pictures. This is a open air theatre, but during winter, there is no body. I use the chair as pattern which highlight the person who is the only different subject which broke the boredom.

I have been traveling quite a bit in the last 2 weeks due to training in my new job. Anyway, the training is almost done, I shall be able to post some more. 

No, I have not deserted this blog, I promise.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home