Tuesday 30 August 2011

Film

Will be away on business trip for another 9 days. So please check again on 10 Sep or later.

We are always so take it for granted that digital is so easy to shot, so convenient that we forgot the pain and joy of using film. A lot has been debated about film vs digital, there is no place for further discussion, but when we talk about using film it feels like having something so unique, so special that it deserves a special occasion which does not involve fast action, no instant feedback, it must be some subject I am so familiar that even without reviewing the picture at the back of the camera (for readers who were born in the 80's - film camera does not have a LCD screen at the back of the camera for instant review)  I know the outcome already.






A quiet afternoon, sipping coffee, when the sun hit the chair, I knew I had a picture. I took out a very old camera with a very old len (camera 20 years old, len 50 years old), took my time to evaluate the light, set the exposure, and pressed the button. When the image suddenly disappeared in the view finder, it emerged into my memory, I knew I have the picture.  Indeed, after developing and scanning, this is exactly as I visioned.





This is from the earlier days when I re-ignited my passion for photography, I was shooting around with a rangefinder camera and a standard len. I immediately realised the picture when I saw this. The maid went away to meet her friend, left behind colourful bottles. Since the chair is in heavy shades, I opened the aperture by at least 1 stop. The result is a picture with good enough shadow details, but the highlight of the leaves above is still intact. I doubt whether a digital camera, no matter any brand could achieve the subtleties, the dynamic range and the shades of colour of these two pictures. The picture was just like what I saw. If digital picture can recall a memory, then analogue pictures can recall the feeling like just being there again.





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home